Wednesday, April 1, 2015

A ~ Asparagus

After months spent eating food we had preserved for the winter it was always nice to notice the first little spears of asparagus poke through the ground. Waiting for it to grow enough to be harvested was a little challenging and I would check on them every day in hopes we can have a meal that included something that was freshly grown. Canned vegetables, though good, simply couldn't measure up to something straight from the garden.

We weren't the only ones that seemed to be happy that the winter was over and there would be fresh vegetables to enjoy. The deer apparently kept tabs on asparagus as well and would come out at night to nibble on it. That is, until our dog decided she was going to spend her nights sleeping next to our asparagus patch. Her barking did the trick and we were able to enjoy several weeks having fresh asparagus every day.

Spring seems to have sprung here in our little corner of the world. Unfortunately we don't have an asparagus patch where we live right now. Sad, because I could go for a big bowl full prepared like my Mom used to.

10 comments:

  1. My sister and brother-in-law were in Germany one spring, and it seemed all of the restaurants served "Spargel" with every meal. She said she'd have never believed she could get tired of eating asparagus, but she couldn't look at it for months after she got home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoyed your post but not so much on asparagus. Maybe I just have not had it fixed right.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember going through canned peaches and pears in the winter, and looking forward to visiting the berry patch in the summer. Memories that I hope I can continue, despite the severe lack of knowledge on how to can anything. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe you can do as one of my coworkers always says she does and get yours "wild in the ditch"- which of course was overheard out of context by our boss, which led to some eyebrow raises, but supposedly you can find it growing wild.

    Good luck on the rest of the challenge
    Hi from Nagzilla bloghopping A to Z

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love asparagus too but don't have any growing here. I did buy some at the grocery and enjoyed it very much.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great minds think alike! I chose asparagus for my A topic as well. Alas, mine still comes from the grocery store as I have yet to master the art of growing it. Sure is yummy though!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a cute blog! Just stopping by from the A to Z Challenge! Happy Blogging! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. We have a small asparagus patch. It definitely isn't a family favorite but we eat it when it grows. My grandmother planted the patch many years ago so we maintain it. I don't think I would ever choose to plant asparagus though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome!! Deer are the cutest until they start nibbling. Good luck with A-Z! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I should do some kind of A to Z post, but I don't think they could be possibly as interesting as yours!

    Asparagus grew wild for us... only my mom and dad liked it, though. We kids liked wild strawberries, though and couldn't wait for them to ripen up on the hill. They were tiny, of course, and took a while to fill our pails and many of them were gone by the time we got back home... oops! But asparagus had to grow on me (so to speak) ... as in only the last few years have I liked it, and it has to be prepared the fattening way ...lots of butter!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment. I love hearing your thoughts.