Saturday, April 4, 2015

D ~ Desserts

Desserts used to be an important part of Amish life while I was growing up. Every meal ended with dessert, including breakfast where pie, cakes, and cookies were enjoyed with cereal or a cup of tea.

Saturday afternoons used to be spent creating a variety of desserts, because a typical Sunday dinner ended with a big dessert course. You never knew who might be stopping by, and you didn't want to be caught unprepared.

 Cake and fruit was the usual way of starting dessert. Bars, brownies, and cookies were often included in this part. Once everyone had finished that, it was time to serve pudding, which was often some elaborate creation. The final option used to be several kinds of pie.

Love for dessert is evident in Amish cookbooks, where the majority of the recipes will be for desserts.

10 comments:

  1. I recently bought an Amish cook book and the desserts look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love desserts but I try to be careful because I need to lose weight. Do the Amish have to deal with obesity or diabetes? I'm just curious.

    Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some do.

      Living the Amish lifestyle is a lot more active, and easier to keep weight off. :)

      Delete
  3. I love desserts too but have to watch what I eat. I imagine a lot of those calories are worked off during a normal day of living.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they do burn more calories on an average day than non-Amish do.

      Delete
  4. It is always interesting to read of other cultures. Glad I stopped in on my bouncing around the A-Z. Deserts are my favorite also. Just love having a good sweet to finish off a meal.

    As I See It Daily

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They can be a nice way to finish a meal. We kind of got away from it though since leaving the Amish.

      Delete
  5. I love how the Amish enjoy their sweets but are quite lean and healthy. it is because of their active lifestyle and eating real food. There is nothing wrong with sugar once and awhile. The Amish are proof of that.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment. I love hearing your thoughts.